*My* new year's resolution is to keep up better on assigning journals for you...heheh..lucky you!
So here's the first for the new decade:
It's sort of a fire and ice, but related to your mastery of the six traits of writing
- First, you will be posting this as a comment to this blog and you will be working with your partner for your Brainy Flix video for this year.
- Then, the ice: What are the traits that you are cool with? What's been the most helpful in mastering these?
- Then, where's the fire?! What do you need help with? Be as specific as you can about what's confusing. Include any terms or phrases that I use that are frustrating or unclear.
- Last, tell me what word you and your partner need to fix on Brainy Flix so that we can enter it in the new competition. .Please look carefully at the rules and format that I have posted on the LA1 website. Be sure to include all the info specified by Brainyflix.
and again...here's to a great 2010!
mrs s
12 comments:
Darian Corpuz
Jordie Guasch
Fire, Ice, Brainyflix
1.) Voice because it’s easy to express your feelings through writing. It’s been easy to master this because there’s no limit to what you can say and you and speak your mind.
2.) I need help with ideas because mine are all muddled up and all over the place. I have no clue on how to be more specific about my ideas and its kind of frustrating when I get 3’s when I’m not being specific enough.
3.) We didn’t start the Brainy Flix.
4.) Shoot, forgot the blackboard part. Well, since Darian didn't have Blackboard in middleschool, I guess I'll be talking about it.
Blackboard was a crazy, insane site that teachers used to post up upcoming projects, asignments, and give us a headsup on the next quarters.
Personally, it was a difficult thing to use because some of the teachers didn't use it, so most of us were in the dark anyways. Also, there wasn't an easy way to contact the teachers, so if you had questions over break or the weekend, you really did have to wait till school started back up.
In any and all honesty, the only good part was that you had a hard-copy of your assignments online. But that's only if the teacher posted it up. >.>
Fire and Ice
by: janelle and isabelle :D
Ice
Janelle and I both agree that ideas is the easiest trait to portray in writing. We feel this way because we can easily express what we feel about the topic, and also to list the important facts.
Another trait for the both of us would be voice because we like to show our personalities through our essays.
Fire
There are several traits we have trouble with. One would be word choice, mainly because we have to choose the right word to best describe the situation, or example. We both need strengthening in sentence fluency. It's slightly difficult to make a sentence that will create an impact on the reader. We want to learn how to add a nice flow to our sentences.
Brainy flix fix
Janelle and I have to use the word in our video, which is fortuitious. We only inserted the word in the video as a text.
Blackboard
We have no experience with blackboard :D haha!
Isabelle: Although I have never used blackboard before, I have used edline, which is another site to upload current grades. I had no conflicts with this, other than late postings from teachers.
1. ICE
Alexandria: The traits that I'm cool with is Voice and Organization. The most helpful things that help me master these things is reading books.
Kiana:The traits that I'm cool with are also Voice and Organization. The most helpful things that help me master these things is my older sister.
FIRE
Alexandria: The traits that I need help in is Word choice, Sentence Fluency & Ideas. I need help with these because my vocabulary sounds kind of pidgin. Then when I write my sentences, I'm kind of repetitious so my sentences doesn't flow right. And for my Ideas. I don't really have raw ideas. I'm not creative when I'm thinking of what to say in my work.
Kiana:The traits that I need help on are mainly Word Choice which goes into Sentence Fluency. I need to work on these traits because my vocabulary is really bad. Sometimes I use the wrong words in my sentence which makes my sentence sound really bad.
2. What we need to fix about our BrainyFlix Video was that our storyboard wasn't that good & we didn't use the word in our video. We only showed it at the end.
3. We both aren't familiar with blackboard.
Kevin Caguillo & Brittany Bonilla
Ice
Brittany :
I think I'm pretty cool in voice and ideas. Mainly, because when I do an assignment I write whats usually in my head then proof read later. I also think I'm good in voice because its easy to show my own voice in my writing because it is my own THOUGHTS, FEELINGS, OPINIONS, & ETC.
Kevin :
For me, voice and ideas are my strongest traits. In my writing, i usually use my personal opinions or experiences, making it easier for me to write my essay.
Fire
Brittany :
The traits that I find confusing are word choice and organization. I find it hard for me to excel in word choice because I have to expand my vocabulary more to make my writing more effective and specific. When i write my paper, I usually just write anything thats in the top of my head so organization doesn't effects me that much until I really proof read my paper thoroughly.
Kevin :
Personally, i find that Oraganization is the most confusing to me. Oraganization is hard for me because usually my paper is all out of place.
Brainy Flix :
Our word is Loquacious, meaning talkative. In our video, we need to use the word and use it correctly. We need to make our cuts more clearer.
Blackboard:
We have never used blackboard before, but we have used something very similar to this. This program is called Edline. On edline, we liked how we could check our homework and grades anytime online. Things that we did not like about edline is that some of the teachers took a while to update our grades and homework. Some teachers didn't even update it at all.
Ice:
The trait that Angela and I both are cool with is Voice. Writing many essays and impromptus has been the most helpful for me in this trait (Leo). What helped me out the most with voice is my personality, because when I write I express what I think. That helps me out with voice because it just comes natural to me when I write to say what I feel on the topic (Angela).
Fire:
I need help on ideas, because i have hard time thinking on what to write and ideas to add in my paper.(Leo)
I need help with Organization. I need to learn to make my essays flow so it is easier for people to understand my writing. I think what messes me up the most on organization is I just start writing and then when something comes to mind about the topic later on I put it in the wrong place in the essay. That makes it harder for people to read and understand my writing so thats something I need to work on. (Angela)
Brainyflix Fix:
We need to say our word in our video instead of showing it.
Blackboard:
I've never used blackboard, but I used something simiular called edline and teachers web.
(leo)
I have used blackboard before and I didn"t have many problems, only some. When my teachers posted something sometimes I can't see it or it doesn't show up on my computer. (Angela)
Journal #19 comment
Desiree and Traci
Fire and Ice
The trait that is “ice” is voice. Voice is a trait that’s cool working with because we get to show our personality in our writing. It allows us to be original and creative and show who we are like, making our writing unique.
The trait that is “fire” is word choice. We both have difficulty in our use of words. We have trouble coming up with the “specifics” and end up using general words. Realizing that word choice is not coming up with “big” words from the thesaurus, it makes it difficult to come up with words that don’t go against voice. The main thing is that, it is difficult in creating the “specifics”.
Brainyflix Fix
For the submission, we have to show the word in the beginning of the video, its part of speech, definition, and the url where it can be voted on.
We have not used Blackboard before. But we have used something similar-- OptionC and Edline.
Jody Yafuso
Kai Tachino
Kiyo Keanini
Fire & Ice, BrainyFlix Fix, Blackboard
Ice: We feel comfortable with organization. It is easy because you just need to make sure your paper flows and makes sense and is in some kind of order.
Fire: We can all work on word choice because it is hard to find the right words to fit together. Also its hard to find the perfect word that explains in detail what we are talking about.
BrainyFlix: We can work on using our word in our video correctly.
Blackboard: Jody and Kai have never had any experiences with blackboard but I(Kiyo) have not had any problems except our teachers never posted grades on blackboard so all it did for us was told us our homework.
Sharmaine Sebastian & Shannel Cabuhat
Journal #19 : Fire and Ice
ICE -
SHARMAINE: The trait I am "cool" with is ORGANIZATION. The assignment that was the most helpful in mastering this trait was our KC3 Cause and Effect essay.
SHANNEL: The trait I am "cool" with is VOICE, our assignments such as our Theme Essay has helped me overcome my lack of voice.
FIRE -
SHARMAINE: The trait that I need help with is IDEAS because I sometimes forget to add specific ideas to my writing. I sometimes tend to TELL instead of SHOW.
SHANNEL:
The trait that I need help with is ORGANIZATION which also involves grammar, because I tend to shift a lot in my essays, usually they just seemed piled up, & not organized.
BLACKBOARD -
SHANNEL&SHARMAINE: Both of us have never heard of or used BLACKBOARD before.
BRAINYFLIX -
We need to work on A LOT of things:
-We need to use the word more in our video.
-We need to put the word in the beginning and the end of the video along with the definition, part of speech, and sentence.
-and we need to put the url for the voting.
(NOTE: We might redo the whole video)
Journal #19 Fire and Ice, LA: As told by Rebekah and Korie
Korie: Hello to you lucky reader of this post comment :)
Rebekah: Korie is a weirdo... so anyways here we goooooooo
Korie: So Rebekah, what are some of the traits that came to you easily this past SY?
Rebekah: Voice was an easy trait because I found it simple to put my experience into words.
Korie: Yeah that's true, I agree. The other trait that I really worked hard at to get right was ideas. Over the past quarter that was my goal to put out better ideas, and I found that with good ideas the organization and voice flowed out a little easier.
Rebekah: Fire! Fire!
Korie: Whaaat? Calm down.. geez.
Rebekah: No, I meant that's the next part of our fire/ice comment.
Korie: Errm. Okay then. I'd have to say that organization was a weak point for me.
Rebekah: Yeah me too. It was challenging for both of us because it was hard to phrase the ideas just so, making sure the same point is carried across to the reader consistently.
Korie: In impromptu essays I noticed that organization was a huge part because there wasn't much time to finish the paper, yet we still needed a great title, introduction, body, and conclusion.
Korie: Braiiiiiiiinyflix (singsong voice)...
Rebekah: Oyy...
Korie: Man! After reading the 'Official Rules' we have to reshoot our WHOLE VIDEO!!! Agrrghhh....
Rebekah: And why is that?
Korie: Because... one of the rules stated that we needed to use the actual word in our video.. which we unfortunately didn't include.
Rebekah: OH! We also forgot to put 'Vote for our video at blah blah....' at the end.
Korie: Riiiite. That's important if we want to win some bucks... muahahaha!
Rebekah: As for the program Blackboard...
Korie: Blackboard? What is that?
Rebekah: Blackboard is a way for the teachers to communicate with their students.. kinda like email but in a webpage version. The teacher connects with their whole class and each person from the class can talk to their teacher from their user and they can also "chat" talking about what they need help with during break. The most difficult part about it was learning how to use it and learning what else you can do with it. But once you use it alot, you can get used to it.
Korie: Alright.. I think that's enough words for now... :)
From: Kristen Monico & Czarina Caberto
Ice:
Kristen and I both agreed on "Voice". We both think that this is a good trait to us because it helps us in expressing ourselves in our writing by showing our personality. Through experience, we have noticed that an essay turns out really good if there is lots of voice, it also catches the reader's attention the most.
Fire:
We think that when we write, it is harder to use the trait "Conventions and Presentation". Our generation today has been using lots of technology, especially cell phones. Teens today have been using texting to communicate with each other. Usually when we text, we do not really use proper grammar. For example, instead of saying "What are you doing?", we usually say something like, "Wat u doing?". So when we write our essays, many of us tend to use our texting language rather than proper grammar.
Brainy Flix:
Three things are missing in our video. We have to use the word in our video, put the part of speech at the end, and we also have to put the url in which you can vote for our video.
Blackboard:
Kristen and I never used this program before. But I, Czarina, have used two different programs in my previous school called TeacherWeb.com and Edline.com. The good things about TeacherWeb are
-You can see your letter grade.
-You can see what homework you had.
*Bad things:
-There was no calendar to look at.
[Good things about Edline! :)]
-You could see both your PERCENT AND LETTER grade.
-You could see what homework you had for the week/month.
-There was a calendar to look at.
-There was a letter from the principal stating what was happening in school each month.
So to me, Edline was a better program.
Shaneika Aguilar and Maddie Nguyen
Ice:
-Word Choice
-Comments from peers and teacher made me realize what was wrong with my vocabulary and effective word choice.
-Voice and Ideas
-The comments from my peers and Mrs. Sueoka helped me when it came to understanding what these traits are. When I met Mrs. Sueoka to discuss these traits, she was able to provide me with the requirements needed to meet that trait. We also did exercises that also boosted up my understanding. The essays that we did also allowed me to get a deep understanding on how and what to write in order to meet these traits.
Fire:
-Conventions and Presentation
-I have struggled in this area because I don't really understand what I should do in order to succeed in this trait. Here is an example of one of your (Mrs. Sueoka) comments: "Quite a few agreement errors (singular and plural of subject and verb, as well as pronoun antecedent." When I came to see you, I understood what to do to revise, but when I got home, I totally forgot. I also went over my essay multiple times and I thought I used the right words for my sentences. It's just that I don't really get how the trait works. Like what are the requirements needed in order to master it.
Brainy Flix:
-Here is what we need to work on:
-Start and end the video with the word, its part of speech, definition, and the url where it can be voted on - http://www.BrainyFlix.com/words/xxxxx and replace with your vocab word.
-For the information you fill out when uploading a video, enter the following:
-For the Title, and replace with your vocab word.
-For the Description, write the vocab word, its part of speech, definition, the sample sentence (if you have one), and the Vote for this video at http://www.BrainyFlix.com/words/ and replace with your vocab word.
-The Tags BrainyFlix, SAT, ACT, vocab, contest, reading, writing, memorize, MIT, and replace with your vocab word.
Blackboard:
-No issues really. It's kind of cool because you get to see your assignments posted up without having to write it down. There is a discussion board, so you can talk to people online. Also, you get to see your grade without having to bother your teacher about having to check their grade book.
:)
Post a Comment