Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First Quarter Reflection: Fall, 2010

Hi everyone and congratulations on surviving the first quarter of sophomore year!

To start off the quarter, I would like you to reflect on the past quarter. You may post your reflection here, as a comment, or turn in a hard copy.
DUE: Friday, October 15, 2010

Please include the following in your reflection:
  1. A short description of your quarter. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important, What do you notice about yourself, your peers, your classes that distinguishes sophomore from freshman year?
  2. Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?
  3. What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)
  4. Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
  5. Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?

24 comments:

darianbobarian said...

1. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important?

Good stuff would be the fact that I am doing much better in math in my sophomore year, rather than my freshman year. Junk stuff would be that I am not doing so well in physics, but I plan to change that. Very important? Very important would be the fact that were older and with age comes more responsibility.

What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter?

My big ah-ha's are everything. Everything makes me laugh. So far there are not any feelings i haven't felt before or new feelings that I feel towards now.

What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY?

I would maybe change the way of testing? I am not to sure because some of your testings I like. My why would be so that we could have a better understanding of what has to be done and be able to interpret your instructions better.

Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.

Last quarter my MeneMac experience was overall good and I enjoyed it. I am happy to be in this program.

ast, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?

My hopes and goals for second quarter is to hit over a 3.0 GPA.

Angela said...

1. To be honest, I think I could’ve done much better first quarter. With a determined attitude, I would’ve been able to get a lot done. I had the privilege of being in yearbook this year and it has taught me a lot about procrastination. That’s the one class that you absolutely cannot procrastinate in, so I have been improving in getting my work done first. I’ve noticed that I have been taking more responsibility being a sophomore, as a freshman you usually look up to people but as you get older you begin to become the person others look up to. I also see the same in my peers; they are becoming more mature and taking on more responsibilities. In my classes, the work is much more difficult and also the amount of work has increased too.

2. During Language Arts, my big “aha” was sentence fluency. I didn’t understand it all before, but until we started doing all those exercises, it became much clearer to me. I also learned to improve my writing using sentence fluency and adding specific details to give my paper depth. I feel like I understand much more with writing a good paper. This past quarter we learned about sentence fluency and how to write a paper for a college application and while we did that we went over exercise to help us understand them. If we didn’t do those, I don’t think I would be able to understand them now.

3. I would like to see less frequent assignments, I know that seems like the typical answer but to be honest it will only help us focus the other assignments that you give us. If there are fewer assignments to do, it gives us more reason to make our other assignments with quality. We can give more effort into it instead of just putting something because we need to get something else done. Another thing I would want to change is the way instructions are made on tests and assignments. It would make it much more understanding if the instructions are more specific with what has to be done. I find myself always asking others what we have to do because I don’t quite understand what the assignment is and most of the time they don’t understand the whole thing either.

4. My overall Mene Mac experience this quarter would have to be one of my better ones. I did have some struggles dealing with getting work completed in time but when it was finished, I was filled with excitement. I was proud of myself for getting more work done this quarter then I did last year. This quarter was an okay one, but I believe this next one will be even better.

5. For this second quarter I plan to have a new studying schedule. So far, I have been able to finish school work first before I do anything else. I hope to stick to this plan for the rest of the year. I am also planning to reach a G.P.A. of either 3.5 or higher. For right now these are my goals because I don’t want to have an overload of goals. I am working on these for now and hopefully I complete them successfully.

-Angela Chinen

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dela-cee said...

Leo Dela Cruz Jr.
Fall Reflection

1. This past quarter I had good and bad stuff that happened. The good stuff is the new friends I made and the new people I’ve gotten closer to. I’ve also been thinking about my future, like what college I want to go to, and what I want to be. Here’s where the junk stuff come in, since I’ve been thinking about my future, i realized that I need to work hard than I am now to get to where I want to be. I noticed that I am getting lazy in doing my work and have been slacking off a lot. I also noticed that my peers have stayed the same, no one has changed and I like it that way. As for my classes, I love every class, and I am now setting a goal to as good as I can in every one.
2. I have only one ah-ha for this past quarter and it is more on the medium size and it’s for the sentence fluency because at first I didn’t really get it, but after doing all those practices and tests. I sort of got the hang of it. Like I know what is expected when it comes to sentence fluency.
3. I would really like to see more group activities. This is because I really think most people in our class learn easier when working in groups. It is also very fun and when it’s fun people actually participate.
4. My Menemac experience this past quarter has been really good, because through this program you learn a lot. That’s all I have been doing is learning. I really love this program, and I am happy and grateful I am in it.
5. Finally, now are my goals. My goals for this quarter are to raise up my grades in all my classes, finish all my homework and turn them in on time, participate in class, and to listen more. Most of all to get an A or B in Mrs. Sueoka’s class 

Isabelle Sayno said...

Well to start off, the quarter went by really quick. The "good stuff" would definitely have to be the "taking a look into the future" work. "Junk stuff" would definitely have to be my lack of striving. Since I am so used to everything in MeneMAC, it's a bit difficult for me to keep on exploring and performing excellence when I work. Other than the fact that there are new freshmen, sophomore year is a bit different. I feel comfortable with the work given to me because I have a sense about how things work around MeneMAC. This aspect makes me feel more mature.

My ultimate "AH-HA" during my first quarter was mastering sentence fluency. At the very beginning of the quarter, I was very naive to the subject. I honestly did not know what I was doing, when choosing a song that has sentence fluency. But after doing all of the exercises, I understood how sentence fluency works, and why it is important.
I definitely now know that sophomore year is more challenging than freshman year. I feel that I should keep my mind open so that I can learn and grow more than I did freshman year.

I think the language arts assignments are meant to be the way they are now. Majority of the assignments are all time efficient. And the level of difficulty is just right.

The entire first quarter in MeneMAC really flew by. I was extremely busy throughout the entire quarter. There were times when I thought I wasn't going to make it through this mess. Luckily I had my familiar MeneMAC family to support me, and I managed to get through the quarter.

My main goal for second quarter is to not underestimate anything. As I said before, I will keep my mind open. Hopefully, I can achieve a 4.0 GPA. :) We'll see!

Kai said...

1. The goods things about first quarter is that I got close to some new people and I learned a lot. The bad things is that I did not do as good in my classes that I could have done. If I worked harder and didn't procrastinate I would probably be able to get a lot more done. I notice my peers, as well as myself, are starting to school work a lot more seriously. School is getting more and more stressful but definitely worth it in the end.

2. I FINALLY UNDERSTAND SENTENCE FLUENCY!! It took me a while but after the first quarter impromptu with Obama's speech I finally understand it.

3. The only thing that I would like to see change in our class is the seating. We've in almost the same seats for more than a year. Getting new seats will allow us to get to know new people so our class can be closer as a whole.

4. I really enjoy being in this program. I love my fellow students and love the media based classes. Very glad (and proud) to be in this program.

5. My goals for this quarter is to do better in my classes. First quarter my grades were kinda rough so im going to try and redeem myself this quarter.

Jody said...

A short description of your quarter. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important, What do you notice about yourself, your peers, your classes that distinguishes sophomore from freshman year?

I could have done a lot better this past quarter. I was very unfocused and was not keeping up with my work. Something different I started doing last quarter that I never did last year was getting involved in class activities (homecoming, sophomore banquet committee) One of the most important things that I need to learn from last quarter is the consequences of not turning in or doing your work. I'm going to try much harder the rest of the year in ALL of my classes, not just the ones I like.


Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?

I know one "ah-ha" was finally figuring out what sentence fluency was. When we first started to learn that I was kind of confused but after working with it more I started to understand it.


What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)

I'm really not sure what kind of things I would change. I know I wasn't doing everything assigned on time but I don't think there was something wrong with the actual assignment, it was mostly me being lazy and easily distracted.


Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.

The classes were alright but it's just weird not to have 1st pd. Media anymore. We didn't do any videos last quarter but we did have a few photoshop projects. (I like videos more) So I'm excited that we get to do another brainyflix video this quarter for english.


Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?

DO ALL OF MY HOMEWORK ON TIME. I think this will be much easier now that I don't have a facebook (my biggest distraction last quarter)

Brittany said...

1) Good stuff? Hmm, this quarter I've learned alot through my mistakes during freshman year I have improved in almost all my subjects. Junk stuff? Since I've been improving, I've been losing the hours I use to sleep to stay up and do hw and study. -__-

2) My biggest "ah-ha" for the quarter would probably be sentence fluency I used to just think it was the way a sentence flows but it gets more technical then that.:)

3) The level of difficulty challenges me at times but I think it is for the best. Whatever assignments, projects, etc, i felt was all very vital to my learning. Although, when giving out big projects, menemac teachers tend to give them out all at the same time. They should work together to make sure they dont cummulate us with all this work. (:

4) My overall experience with menemac was very....fun. The feeling of not being freshman anymore felt good. It took me a while to get used to my new classes but now I'm comfortable in all my classes.

5) I hope to work on my time management skills that way i have time for sports, extra curricular activities, school work, friends & family, and SLEEP. I hope to keep up my grades and hopefully get more A's.

MaddieNguyen said...

Madelynne Nguyen
1)A short description of your quarter. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important, What do you notice about yourself, your peers, your classes that distinguishes sophomore from freshman year?

a)The beginning of my sophomore year was alright< I felt like I could’ve done a lot better with more of an initiative attitude instead of procrastinating. One of many good things that happened this year is that I got into the human physiology class which I felt was my hardest class, yet I still managed to get an A! I also aced my math and science classes. A bad thing would be my excess amount of tardiness. I need to be more prompt and on time and I think that I can do this by start heading to class right when the bell rings instead of taking my time. Some things that distinguish sophomore year and freshman year are the fact that we are all closer now. Noticing from last year and this year, I can see that everyone isn’t comfortable with each other yet but during sophomore year, it’s like we are all family. The classes are a lot harder too but I think that it’s preparing me for next year.

2)Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?

a)My “ah-ha” for this quarter would have to be understanding sentence fluency and applying it to my essays to make it stronger. I was so lost in the beginning of the year but as we had more practice with the Obama’s speech, I feel like I finally get it! I can now use what I have learned for future essays and writing samples.

3)What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)

a)I think that the assignments, instructions and etc. should be kept the way it I because it is helping me prepare for higher level classes. The assignments are challenging yet when I understand it and do well< I feel like I have accomplished a lot.

4)Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.

a)My overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter was really good compared to my freshman year because I’ve grown closer to my classmates and I can go to them for anything. Our bonding is a lot better compared to last year. I wish that we still have media class though because I really enjoyed it. It was the one period that I always looked forward to. This quarter has passed by so fast though. :(

5)Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?

a)MY hopes and goals for the second quarter would be to be on top of my game and not procrastinate. I would also like to be more prompt and on time rather than late. I also want to get my straight A’s so that I can keep my 4.0 grade average.

czarina_caberto said...

A short description of your quarter. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important, What do you notice about yourself, your peers, your classes that distinguishes sophomore from freshman year?
This quarter went by pretty quick to me. But surprisingly, so many things happened in just one quarter! And they're good things. I was able to meet new people and become close to lots of new people or closer to people that I've known for a while. I have also learned a lot of new things, especially in English and Broadcast. Last year, in English, I was a bit shaky about sentence fluency. I honestly didn't know what it was. Now, through all the assignment and work, I understand it crystal clear! In Broadcast, I learned how to write more creatively and to express ideas in such ways that would get the audience hooked and interested in my writing. This helps me in both English and Broadcast. I can't wait to see whats up next for the upcoming quarter(s). I am also trying to be more active in school. I have joined many clubs and school activities, like homecoming. Being more active in school helped me to be more social with a lot of kids in menemac and even outside of menemac. Not only have I bonded with some of the other students, but I have bonded with a lot of my teachers. This helps me with doing better in school because I'm not shy to ask the teachers for help on things.

Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?
Like I said before, I have finally come to the point where I clearly understand sentence fluency. I have noticed that my writing and dialogue has improved because of this.

What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)
Actually, I think the way we are running everything is very efficient. Especially the promethean board and peer commentaries. I tend to learn better when I get opinions from my classmates.

Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
My overall experience this quarter has been a combination of many things. Stressful but relaxing. Easy but challenging. Boring but exciting. It just all depends on how well I manage my time. When I do my work ahead of time, my school life seems easier and relaxed. But when I start procrastinating, I get stressed and school starts to get challenging.

Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?
I hope to meet more people who can help me in reaching my future goal of becoming a Broadcast Journalist. When I went to the SP camp, I met John Allen, Leslie Wilcox, and many other aspiring people working in the journalism field. My other goal is to get straight A's and a 4.0 GPA. I also hope to receive more awards (:

CJ said...

This quarter I have learned a little bit, like how to make your writing sound smart and good by using good sentence fluency. Football was alright, school was ok, my grades were better. I fell more mature now than I did last year, all of my peers seem the same too.
Like I said, I now love sentence fluency, because it makes me sound smart.
Nothing, the language arts work is just right, it challenges me.
I've been spending more time by myself rather then with my Menemac friends, I think that we are all still like family. My goals would include getting a B this quarter in English, and just doing well in school.

Sharmaine Sebastian said...

My first quarter was a great start to my sophomore year. And it’s nice to know that we’re not the “newbies” anymore. Anyway, during this quarter I learned new things and started becoming much more involved in different school activities. I made new friends and I'm not as shy as I was last year. Within my peers, I noticed that it had gotten a little competitive in academics recently. Last year everyone didn’t seem to care about competition, but I guess now that since it’s sophomore year, other students started stepping it up. I’m not saying that competition is a bad thing. I’m just saying that I hope it won’t create problems or drama within our peers. My classes this year are much more broad. By this, I mean that all my classmates in MeneMAC and I aren’t in as much classes together anymore. Even though we still have social studies, science, and language arts together, we don’t have our media classes anymore. I really miss it, and so does everyone else in my MeneMAC class. But all in all, my first quarter of sophomore year was excellent.

For language arts this quarter, the biggest “ah-ha” for me was sentence fluency. From the start I honestly did not know what sentence fluency was. I did have a general idea of what it was; "the writing piece flows smoothly and has good transitions". However, I did not know that there was so much more to it; parallel structure, repetition, progression, vivid description, etc. As the first quarter went on I started to get the hang of applying more sentence fluency into my classwork and essays. I noticed in my college essay that I began using a lot of sentence fluency. Once I fully understood sentence fluency, I felt ignorant because I didn’t know that it was such a simple thing. I feel that my writing has improved a lot because of my use of sentence fluency. I’m happy about that. I hope to continue applying SF in all of my writing pieces.

So far I’m content with the assignments, procedures, and instructions given to us. Although it would be nice to have certain assignments/essay drafts given to us at least 2 weeks earlier before the rough draft or final draft is due so that we have more time to brainstorm what we want to write about and write it out nicely. But I really have no problems with how it is now.

My overall MeneMAC experience this quarter was a bit more challenging than freshman year because this year the sophomore LA2 class, our class, was partially in charge of making the morning bulletins. This is a good experience because I learned how to use the big mini DV cameras which included setting up, white balancing, etc. Also, being producer isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. Keeping track of all the tasks of all team members and telling them to do certain things is sometimes stressful. Fortunately, I pulled through the stress thanks to my team and all the upperclassmen MeneMACers.

For this second quarter my hope and goal is to maintain most of the grades I have now and boost up some others. I also hope that I would get the hang of producing/creating the morning bulletin. I hope to learn more about the rest of the 6 traits we did not learn in LA2 yet so that I can really enhance my writing to a higher level. For physics, I really want to do better. I’m a bit slow in understanding certain topics and such, but I will try to pay much more attention and try to grasp and absorb the whole lesson. As for my other subjects, my main goal is to just learn, persevere, and strive. This isn’t only for the second quarter, but rather, for the whole year.

-Sharmaine Sebastian

Greencat22 said...

1.A short description of your quarter. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important,What do you notice about yourself, your peers, your classes that distinguishes sophomore from freshman year?
⁃ My first quarter went along nicely until the end where things got more stressful. It was great to be back at school with the company of my fellow menemac-ers. But i realize that when I came back, I was more busy and had more distractions, I had also began to slack off a lot and this resulted in all my work piling up. I also realize that a lot of people from our class has matured more, they weren't the same as they were during freshman year, everyone has taken a step forward and takes things more seriously than before. I have also noticed that everyone is closer now that we've overcome the whole "we didn't know each other before" feeling. My classes this year have become harder and they're at a higher level which challenges me to do more and work harder than I did before. Although I couldn't handle it in the first quarter, I feel more motivated to do better for this quarter.
2.Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?
- My big "ah-ha" was during the sentence fluency exercises. I always thought that sentence fluency was just all about the sentence structure flowing smoothly and then I found out there was more to it like patterns within the paragraphs. I feel that in this class, I can do a lot better in my writing now that I know so much more about the elements of it, like voice, ideas, conventions, word choice, sentence fluency, and organization. I feel so much more confident in my writing.
3.What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)
- I think the way we are working right now is effective but I would like would like to have something like blackboard again because our assignments and upcoming due dates were posted on there, allowing me to keep up with everything and know what are the assignments I have to do.
4.Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
- My overall experience for this past quarter was a little difficult since I just came back from break, my focus and determination was broken. It was also difficult because this year MeneMAC is has more projects and we have to go through a higher level of thinking by relating our media projects with the subject that we are in. But I am happy to be in the program, I love being challenged and MeneMAC got me close to all of my friends that I have now.
5.Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?
- My main goals for this quarter is get all As and bounce back up by catching up on all my work and making sure that I stay focused. I also hope to have as much fun as I can and maintain a positive attitude towards my work.

-Rebekah Morales

kiyo keanini said...

Good stuff: We are getting more advanced with our technology. We are using our resources more effectively. This year we have gotten a lot closer from last year and we have got into the habit of teaching each other whatever we learn. Also we share knowledge we gain from our own experiences. Something good that has happened to me is that I feel like I am taking everything more seriously and working hard for a good grade.
Junk stuff: All of our work is getting hard and theres more of it. I know I am working hard but it feels like now we have to work twice as hard because everything is more challenging.

I don't think we did enough projects and assignments to find an ah-ha moment yet. Maybe something small was that I learned that I am capable of writing good I think I have good ideas but its so much harder to put it on paper. I think that when I try really hard and take a lot of time out to work on my papers slowly, they start to develop into higher level thinking papers.

I don't think there is anything to change. One thing I like is your use of language. Almost everything you talk about and describe is a challenge for me to understand, probably because I have a very poor vocabulary so i have to pay very close attention to everything you say. But I think it opens my eyes to new words and use of grammar which could help me in the future...Thank God I sit in the front :)

Honestly this year feels almost the same as freshman year. Not much changed, which is not a bad thing, but not a good thing. I feel very comfortable in the Mene Mac environment but I also feel like maybe we should get pushed out of our comfort zone a little more.

Some goals for this quarter is to start my projects early and not be so stressed about everything that built up in the last minute. I also want to expose myself to different types of writing and really improve my grammar and vocabulary.

Korie said...

To start off first quarter, I had to drag my lazy butt to school again after (how many) wonderful weeks of stress free summer. :D It was much faster for me to get into the hang of things after only the first week, because high school was no longer the 'foreign land', unlike the same time last year (I guess this would qualify as 'good stuff'). Good stuff also includes that I know how to time manage a bit better than last year, and being the crazy (not to mention social-life deprived child...haha just kidding) I took on robotics club in addition to marching band and 7th period band and the MeneMac Learning Center Core (doesn't that just spell 'sleep-deprivation', huh?) (; Junk stuff.......hm. I miss the extra period of media- just because it gave us some extra time to explore the digital media. One of the most significant differences from last year and this year (which has to do with myself, my peers, AND my class...whoo! three in one) is that our pd. 4 English class no longer shocked at how much work you are able to dish out at us. Sure, we don't care for it all the time, but we aren't scared silly or even AS intimidated just by looking at the assignments sheet you give us at the start of each quarter. Heck, we might as well start thinking something's gone wrong if we don't get that much work from you (still, not saying that we LOVE it ;).

I agree with the rest of whoever posted above saying that "my big 'aha' was SF..." because it was something I've never learned before. But I'm guessing you've grown tired from all the repetition, so MY 'aha' was the college essays. I honestly thought they were supposed to resemble essays written for social studies: dry, boring, and informational. I'm so happy to now know that I can be as creative as I want- just to apply for the college of my choice.

I think the 2 gives/2 gets system we have now isn't as effective as it was thought out to be. We should stick with the 'open season' commenting- just so that the people who were responsible and on time are able to finish their assignment without having to wait around for someone else. I really DO appreciate that you take the time to comment on everyones essay...you're feedback helps many of us finalize the writing piece.
I like using the active-expressions technology- although I don't think it is effective for brainstorming ideas (etc.) because it takes us a while to think of the idea, then more time to type it down. I'd prefer the ol' raise-your-hand-with-your-idea-then-recording-it-on-a-paper/computer approach to brainstorming.

MeneMac has been pretty good (: Im glad I have this opportunity to be in a program that I can channel creative energy into. Part of adjusting to school from summer break was simple because we already know your (the CORE teachers') expectations.

Second Quarter Goals: gotta write less on comments. nuff said :D

Shannel said...

I felt that during first quarter it went by very slowly. Now looking back at first quarter I realize how fast my sophomore year will be. During the past quarter I have been doing something different like being active in extra curricular activities (homecoming, jv tennis, officer for dance moanalua, and more.) But being very active has made me more stressed trying to get work done. I was struggling to try finish my homework, assignments, and projects on time. This leads to sleeping late at night, waking up early in the morning and being sleepy during the day. I found it hard to focus in my classes, that is why I felt that I could have done better this quarter. I noticed that I have been slacking a lot because of the little time I have when I have so much to do, and how my peers are becoming more serious with their academics and their future. (freshmen year was stressful but pretty chill.) I am now aware that my classes now are getting more strictly serious than freshmen year.

I don't really have my "ah-ha" for this quarter yet. But I feel that I have improved in my writing.

I think LA2 is already challenging as it is, so I have no suggestions for changes at the moment.

My overall MeneMAC experience this quarter is that my classes are more challenging than it was freshmen year. Sometimes it'll be chill, and sometimes stressful. But my determination has faded away because of break and that has made me less focused in school. I am still trying hard to get my "mo-jo" back.

My ultimate goal for next quarter AND for the rest of the year is to manage everything, and try to get A's in all of my classes. I am striving to get my work done and have a fun time. I hope to not procrastinate (who am I kidding, I know I will at some point) and get sleep. Yupp, I need my sleep! hahah

Jordie Guasch said...

1. I relatively liked the first quarter. Getting back into swing was fun and compared to 4th quarter last year, it was a breeze. What I've noticed that's changed from freshman year to sophomore year is that we're all focused on 'later life' now; college, passing JDI's, and filling out a LOT of papers.

2. I had no idea I could get posters printed out so large for so little money... Also, I knew that writing a college essay was hard, but I didn't know it was /that/ difficult to find a prompt and make the final product sound interesting. Uhm, in addition, I feel that now that we're gone over sentence fluency like crazies, my future essays will turn out better. :)

3. Honestly, there's nothing I'd want to change. Oh, wait, no, if I could have one request and one request only, I'd like a page on the Mene Mac website with digital copies of all of the rubrics... D:, I'm terrible at keeping them.

4. I want very much to get an A and I hope that 2nd quarter will help me prepare to take Mrs.Voss's pretest to get into that AP English class.

-Jordie

Shaneika Aguilar said...

1. Good stuff? I found myself improving in all my classes. I am able to understand things much more quicker this time around and this has helped me with all of my assignments. Also, I had my 3 mene mac teachers again. YAY! So, the atmosphere and environment was much more comfortable because I already knew them. Junk stuff? My classes became much more difficult. So, it sort of added more weight on my shoulders and I found myself working way into the night. Also, I got a B in Algebra 2. I was only a point away from a 90%. Argh!! Oh, and there's much more assignments and the work is much more challenging.
I did notice that we have grown physically. We don't have such a "baby-face" anymore. Another thing is that we are becoming much more serious about college and registration. Some of my peers have changed their original ways. Like waking up earlier and actually writing in their planners. Also, I find myself worrying about college now. So, I am usually looking at newspapers, articles, etc. and planning out things that I want to do in the future. I also joined clubs this year and my schedule is becoming tighter.

2. I finally understand sentence fluency. The exam allowed me to master my skills and I am happy. Also, I finally realize the importance of joining clubs and extra-curricular, so it's a good thing I joined 3 this year. Another thing is that although my japanese class has become increasingly difficult for me, the work and resources that she gives actually helped me improve and understand the language better. I also realized how near college is now, so I planned out classes that I will be taking and I'm finding ways to get noticed by colleges.

3. Sometimes your instructions are a bit confusing and sometimes i don't understand what to do. However, even when you explain it to me, I still have a bit of confusion in my mind. As far as the assignments, procedures, and instructions, honestly, there's nothing I would like to see changed. I like how things are currently.

4. It was really fun! I got closer to my classmates during projects and group collaborations. The leader for the morning bulletin turned out well for me and it gave me the opportunity to create videos again. However, this year was stressful for me, but I was able to deal with it pretty well. I was able to manage my time, but there were times when I had no sleep. Besides that, it was all worth it.

5. I want to shoot for an A in Algebra 2 and improve my language skills in Japanese. I also want to start and earn my community service hours. I also need to maintain my grades.

Traci said...

The first quarter started off with rough start for me. I was not familiar with some of my classes and had many classes with not a lot of MeneMac students. It was difficult for me to adjust at first with new students and different electives like world language and art, which are two subjects I was very unfamiliar with. As first quarter went by, things got a little easier. I made new friends. I even found out that I am a pretty good drawer in my general art class. Sophomore year feels so different from last year mainly because of different electives and not having a media elective. Also, I don’t have many MeneMac students in my elective classes as well.

In my Language Arts class, I feel that I have improved in my writing skills this year. This year, I like the fact that there are more activities during class and that our teacher is really focusing on the traits even more.

I don’t think that there is anything to change in class this year.

Being in MeneMac this quarter is so pleasing, yet stressful. I liked it this past quarter because of really close friends and such. Yet, there has been a lot of media projects going on this quarter, especially in my U.S History Media class. Although I like being in MeneMac because of the privileges and friends, work-load is sometimes too much.

Fore next quarter, my goal is….Do better! To be more specific, I am striving to get only ONE “B” in my report or get all “A”s in my second quarter report card. I have to take all of my classes seriously this quarter, especially in U.S History and Language Arts because those are my weakest subjects. I have to manage my time well and study more to get that “A”!!!!!!!

Kiana said...

1.Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important
Some of the good things would be that I've learned to complete majority of my assignments. My attitude towards school is changing because I don't want to make the same mistakes that I've made during my freshman year. Also, I've made more friends outside of menemac. Some of the junk stuff things would be in my yearbook class being the underclassmen. I have to prove to my editors in that class that I do my work so that I can deserve the grade the I do deserve.

2. What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter?
I think my biggest "ah-has" in language arts was understanding sentence fluency. I had the biggest problem understanding it. I knew I needed the help but I was too scared to ask.

3. What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY?
I think to me, I would like the instructions to our assignments and also impromptus to be more understanding because I sometimes get confused in our instructions. Sometimes I might misunderstand our assignment and get a bad grade on that assignment.

4. Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
Overall, I've enjoyed my menemac experience this past quarter.

5. Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?
My goals and hopes for this second is to manage a gpa over 3.0 and to complete all my assignments. Also, I would want to be able to talk to my teachers whenever I need help.

Kristen Monico said...

1.Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important?
The first quarter was pretty good for me. I've been doing my work and turning most of it on time for most classes. I'm improving with my problem of procrastinating, which is really good. I'm doing better in English class and I actually kind of get sentence fluency now. Some junk stuff is that I have a lot more work for all of my classes than I had last year. I also realized that when doing hard projects, I feel like giving up, but the good thing is, I don't. First quarter there were a lot of important things. I had to get my work done on time because I had teammates that depended on me for critiques and stuff. Also, since were getting closer to college, I had to keep my grades up and do all my work, especially when everything we learn gets more difficult.

2. What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter?
In english class, when we began learning about sentence fluency, I didn't really know anything about it. But as we started doing exercises for sentence fluency, I realized that it was pretty simple, not as difficult as I though it would be. The only thing now is that I have to start adding sentence fluency in my essays.

3. What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY?
I think instructions for anything, especially tests, could be more clearer. Sometimes when I read instructions, I don't really get what I have to do.

4. Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
This past quarter was good. I think I've gotten even closer to some of the MeneMACers. It was also pretty different than last year because now we have to do all our media projects outside of class since we no longer have the media period. I love MeneMAC, we're all one big family. (:

5. Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?
My goals and hopes for this second quarter is to keep an A for english. I also want to bring my grade up for History by turning all my work and studying for my exams. If I get an A for History and maintain the same grades for all my other classes, I could get straight A's. I also want to do quality work and turn it on time.

-Kristen Monico

Lux_Aeterna95 said...

This first quarter went by pretty fast for me. I know I didn't do too well and I'm ready to start on a clean slate this quarter and improve most of my grades and maintain them throughout the year. I also noticed that first quarter alone, I had to pay for a lot of things: a lab fee, a choomen for one of my electives, two workbooks, club membership dues, and a few t-shirts. I'm glad to see everyone back from summer vacation and am starting to get into the habit of working in a school environment again. Not much has changed. My peers are beginning to look, act, dress, and speak like sophomores. And best of all, they are being more strict and responsible in completing their school work.

My "ah-ha" moment hasn't arrived yet. Other than that, I feel more comfortable working with sentence fluency than I did during the beginning of the year. The "Obama essay" and class work on the Promethean did a lot for me in getting an understanding in the sentence fluency trait.

I feel that there is no need to change any assignments or procedures. I like the teaching style in my Language Arts class. However, instructions on tests sometimes confuse me and I would like to get a better understanding of them.

In the beginning of the first quarter, I did the work for my MeneMAC classes. Everything was like a rollercoaster from that point on. I lost my focus and my time management skills weren't doing so hot. Since I don't have Media for first period anymore, I enjoyed completing the technology portion of our assignments. Being in the MeneMAC environment, I feel it challenges me because this past quarter, me and my peers went through a massive amount of workload.

My goal is to manage my time throughout the year. I also want to get at least a B in Geometry and increase my vocabulary so that I am able to write more scholarly essays. Hopefully, I'll survive my sophomore year by turning in satisfactory assignments in all my classes.

-Desiree Dacoco

JosephD said...

Good Stuff: I was totally bombing 3 classes because of my slacking off. But then i was able to bring up the grades to B's and a C. It made me happy. Junk Stuff: I was bombing 3 classes. Important: I noticed we've all (or most of us)grown up and accepted ouyr duties as sophmores. We will enjoy reminescing in the good old days of Freshman year. But now we have a duty above the freshman. And i've yet to find that.

Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?

Ah-Has!: Classes are harder than they were back in Freshman year. I have to work harder as well which is such a pain :( But i feel that much smarter. I feel smarter in a n environment full of smart people. You need to stay witht he pack. Plus, i know so much more. knowledge learned here is vast.
"sure masu....*walks away slowly*"

What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY? The WHY is very important. If you're very persuasive, you might convince me to make a change. Hit me with your best shot :)

Instead of making us write about certain things like Boring things that do have many facts to write about, You could make us do some creative writing. Write some fqantasy. Use your imagination to make a story in your head, then use words to share that story on paper. Creative writing. That way, we could learn how to express through paper and not through verbs.

Then, describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.

Stressful, Egging, exasperating, Stressful, Irking, happy, working together, stressful, It's totally been an up and down adventure, stressful, etc.

Last, what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?

Maybe get a better grade(s) in all of my classes and get it in ON TIME! gahd!

Kevin said...

1. Good stuff? Junk stuff? and, very important,
- Some good stuff about first quarter is that I got closer with everyone and got to meet new people. In addition, i been improving my grades. Some bad stuff would be that I been procrastinating. I know i could have done better even i didn't procrastinate. We've been having a lot of homework lately and i'm trying my best to keep up.

2. Language Arts: What were your big (or little) "ah-ha's" for the quarter? What can you do now, or what do you know now, or how do you feel now in this class that you didn't do, know, feel before this quarter?
- A "ah-ha" moment or me would be when we were learning about sentence fluency. At first i didn't understand what it was, but after going over it numerous times, i got a better outlook of it and now understand how to use it.

3.What would you like to see changed about Language Arts--assignments, procedures, instruction, etc. and WHY?
-I think i like the way english is right now. Some assignments may be hard at times, but i like a challenge [;

4. Describe your overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter.
My overall MeneMAC experience this past quarter was great. I got closer with everyone in the class. However, i miss making videos. I'm glad that we have a brainy flix video. I noticed that all the MeneMAC teachers give out their projects at the same time.

5. what are your goals and hopes for this second quarter?
-So my goals for second quarter would be to TURN IN ALL MY WORK! I got straight b's last quarter, so my goal for 2nd quarter is to get some A's. I have to start taking my classes seriously.

-Kevin Caguillo